Salco Engineering and Technical Services
Salco Engineering and Technical Services (Salco) is engaged in the delivery of highly technical, compliance-based services to our transportation partners. Our services help our Customers move product from design to destination in a safe and cost effective manner. An aspect of our business is compliance with federal regulations, industry standards and to customer requirements.
As a compliance management company, Salco maintains membership in several trade and professional organizations. These memberships, and our participation, helps to ensure that our Customers are fully-informed of developing issues, and that we maintain leadership status by promoting scientifically-based and practical solutions to achieve compliance.
- Rail transportation consulting and regulatory support.
- Corporate compliance assessments.
- Tank car qualification and maintenance plan work instructions (49CFR180.509)
- Plant operator hazmat and railcar training (Examination before shipping: railcar, highway cargo tank, and ISO containers)
- Repair Shop single car air brake training
- Various shop function specific procedure development and training (car inspection, nondestructive testing method, Level III support, valve reconditioning, etc).
- AutoCAD and SolidWorks design capabilities.
- Design for ease of fabrication (lean manufacturing).
- Quality improvement initiatives (Kaizen).
- Failure analysis including corrosion, mechanical, in-service and in-plant litigation support and development of corrective action to prevent recurrence.
- Corrosion and service failure analysis of in-plant and rolling stock for performance improvement and litigation support.
- Metallurgical and welding engineering support, including process and procedure development and oversight of process implementation at the facility level.
- Railcar design, conversion, alteration and modification repair engineering.
- Research, engineering and product development.
- Reliability analysis of fleet maintenance data.
- AAR M-1003 quality assurance program development certification assistance.
- AAR M-1002 technical B-3 and B-3 Application support.
- Internal auditing and training.
- Root-cause analysis and training.
- FRA audit finding response support.
- Supply chain (vendor) auditing.
- Railcar third-party inspection services.
- Inspector and AAR field manual training.
- FRA/OTMA management and root cause analysis.
- Manufacturing and repair facility car inspections covering inbound.
- Inspection, estimate generation, in-process inspection, final inspection, and customer acceptance.
- Pre-acquisition and lease return inspections.
- JIC inspection representative.
- Damage inspection on railroad property (with proper permission), storage facilities and customer property.
- Inspection for failure analysis and failure prevention engineering services.
- Evaluation of in-plant railcar damage.
NDT and Welding Support
- Auditing and surveillance.
- ASNT NDT Level III on-site services (training, written practice and procedure development.
- Probability of detection (POD) development for site NDT methods.
- AWSD 15.1, AAR Appendix W, ASME Section IX welding procedure development, training and welder qualifications.
- Welding program development and AWSCWI support.
- Work with shop floor personnel during implementation of new processes, including post implementation surveillance and follow-up assistance.
- English and Spanish support services available